SANFORD – The Sanford City Council earlier this week voted to hold public hearings on a number of bond proposals at their Aug. 20 meeting, but the upcoming hearing on a proposal to change the make up of the Sanford Budget Committee elicited most comment.
Following the public hearing, the City Council will vote whether to send the proposals to a Nov. 5 referendum. They could vote to send them as proposed, to amend them and send to referendum, or to not send them at all.
The Sanford Budget Committee is currently composed of three city councilors and four at-large members of the public. The proposed charter amendment would change the make up to include the entire City Council and Sanford School Committee – a total of 12 people. As currently proposed, there would be no at-large members of the public included.
According to the Sanford City Charter, the budget committee meets a minimum of four weeks to review the municipal and school budgets each year before making their recommendation to the City Council.
Mayor Tom Cote, who has been a member of the budget committee for seven years, outlined a couple of reasons for the proposed change.
“Finding the four people has been a challenge, and having them absorb the complexities of the budget and the ongoing meetings that already occurred becomes very problematic,” said Cote. “It’s a very complicated conversation, and that’s a good thing – we’ve been able to keep the tax rate relatively low. Now, we’re talking about really foundational problems and solutions with the city budget and housing.”
Current budget committee member and former Sanford School Committee member Jonathan Mapes advised against a 12-member board, noting most of those involved would have already heard the budgets. He suggested 7 members.
Deputy Mayor Luke Lanigan pointed out that each year, citizens continue to vote on the school budget, even though every three years state law allows them to decide if they wish to continue that validation vote. He said he continues to get calls from constituents advocating for the return of an annual referendum vote on the municipal budget.
“People are still engaged in our budget process,” he said. Lanigan said he likes the process that includes citizens.
“I don’t feel the change would be supported” at the polls, he said.
As to the proposed bonds, City Manager Steve Buck said a full package of information on each proposal – including a breakdown of how passage would impact the tax rate over time, will be presented at the public hearing.
The council is eyeing a $6.2 million road bond. At the public hearing, the Sanford Budget Committee will review a multi-year fiscal analysis, the impact to the street inventory, and other details.
A $1 million bond would go toward land acquisition for future fire stations.
A school bond of $10 million would go toward projects at the converted middle and elementary schools that were removed after bids for the projects came in well over the $43 million in state funding allocated for the project. It would include, among other items, roof replacement, natural gas boilers, playground equipment, intrusion detection, other safety and security measures and technology upgrades at the converted elementary school (the current junior high school).
At the converted middle school (the former high school), it would include LED lights throughout, new HVAC controls, new windows, technology upgrades, school-wide painting, removal of lockers and tile, new playground equipment, bleachers and new exterior doors.
A $1.4 million state school revolving loan would pay the costs associated with additional asbestos removal at the former high school. Under that no-interest program, the state would pay two-thirds of the loan, and the school department, one-third. Those costs are included with the school bond.
A new roof for Carl K. Lamb School, though not part of the state-funded renovation project, is included in the school bond package, as are new pneumatic HVAC controls.
The City Council had little to say about the bond proposals on Tuesday, promising full details and discussion at the Aug. 20 hearing and joint meeting with the Sanford Budget Committee. The public hearing is set for 6 p.m. that day at City Hall, 919 Main St.
— Senior Staff Writer Tammy Wells can be contacted at 780-9016 or twells@journaltribune.com.
Comments are not available on this story.
Send questions/comments to the editors.