(126/126A)
In 1912, Cornelia Warren, daughter of Samuel Dennis Warren, donated a brick building and machinery to the Westbrook School Department to serve as an industrial arts building. The building was located behind the high school on Main Street, and served the school department for many years. When the industrial arts program was moved to the new high school on Stroudwater Street, this building was turned over to the school maintenance department and was used as a workshop and storage facility. The building was eventually closed. It remained vacant for several years before being remodeled into a City Council Chamber with Municipal Offices on the second floor. It became vacant once again when the City Council Chambers were relocated to Room 114 at the high school and the Municipal Offices in the building were moved to the present City Hall on York Street. Westbrook Housing took over the old high school along with this building and extensively remodeled both into Presumpscot Commons Elderly Housing.
Research and photos courtesy of Mike Sanphy
Send questions/comments to the editors.